Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Hole


My dream weekend consists of watching Nancy Grace reruns and eating rocky road ice cream straight out of the container while lounging on the couch with blankets piled up all around me. Occasionally I might play a game of Wii Mario Cart, sew a few seams or knit a few stitches on one of my many ongoing projects, but the majority of my time would be slothful. Gluttonous. Full of unnecessary rest and relaxation.

I haven't had a weekend like this ever since we got our puppy. Oh, I love Raja, but I dream of the day that he will stop leaping at my face and chewing up the carpet.

Raja's newest "thing" is chewing on the wall next to our kitchen. I've patched The Hole (the one that's been laughing at me in my dreams) a few times already, but for some reason he keeps going back to that spot. I've sprayed it with bitter apple, I've put him in puppy time-out, I've lunged at him, arms clawing at the air, screaming, "NOOOO!" Nothing has worked. It's like he knows that chewing on the wall is the thing that will bother me the most, so he stops by for a nibble any chance he gets.

Now, anytime I sit on my couch I see It. The Hole makes my pulse race because I worry that I will never be rid of It. When I'm 60, I'll look over at my husband, eyes wild with insanity, and scream, "THE HOLE! THE HOLE! WILL WE EVER BE RID OF THE HOLE?!?"

It's the stuff nightmares are made of.

5 comments:

Fiona said...

Poor you. Boris did that for about 2 weeks when he was new (6 months old, about. But we got him at 5.5 months, so that was brand new for us).

It was gross. We plastered the wall (he ate a corner) and he ate the plaster. Eww.

Stay strong. She might grow out of it.

Heather said...

That is weird. I wonder why right there. Makes me think that he is "lacking" something nutritionally that he feels he can get from The Hole.

Stay on him.

(babies don't usually chew on drywall--I'm just sayin')

SarahHub said...

Heather is right - Evie has never, ever chewed on our drywall.

Fiona said...

Ok: truth. I gotta stick with the ladies on this.

Iain has never chewed drywall.

Now, I'd never give back Boris. I adore that big floppy pooch. But still - he chewed a wall. Your baby won't do that.

Something to think about...

Lucky Irish Gal said...

I once stopped a dog from digging with jalapeno juice. Rub a little on the wall. Raja will either realize he/she has a taste fro spicy food or quite chewing.

Lily (the dog I used it on) like it. She dug til the day she died. Better luck to you!